Saturday, January 30, 2010

Be Who You Are

This post is about remembering who you are as an individual after you become a mother.

Being a mom takes up a lot of time during the day (that's an understatement).

I could never have guessed how my life would change after my daughter was born. Eric and I talked about how things wouldn't change like we had some idea. Phf. Yeah, right! 

Here's the thing...prior to becoming pregnant, I was a busy gal - a bartender, waitress and performing songwriter. I thought I'd be able to put Ella down for a nap and practice my songs. Ha, no...I was sleeping when she was sleeping (like every new mom should). 

Truth is, playing guitar was the last thing on my mind during those first few months of her life. There were more important things to tend to.

A little history...

I love singing.

I've been singing since I was five. The Little Mermaid song was a crowd favorite. I sang to anyone who would listen. On the school bus, walking down the sidewalk, in my grandmother's kitchen while she held her tape recorder (we still have that tape).

I continued singing and at 15, found my mom's old Alvarez in the closet. Thought it might be fun to fool around with it for a little while and before long, I had the theme song to The Godfather down.

My mom encouraged my interest and bought me a few Jewel songs with pictures of the chords inside. And that's how I learned how to play the guitar - each day one summer just a few chords at time.

It wasn't long before I started writing my own songs. They weren't any good but I wouldn't have known it back then. My family was very supportive and continue to be to this day.

I used to play out every week.


With five independent records and close to 200 songs over my near ten year tenure as a singer/songwriter, it's been challenging to put on the back burner. 




Well, that's only half true...I've been completely enthralled by Ella and just fine being a stay at home. There's other part of me - the part that likes a shot of Makers Mark, the adrenaline rush of being on stage and sitting in the warm spotlight...yeah there's no denying a part of me that misses that. 

Since Ella was born, almost one year ago, I have played three shows and have only written two songs. Yikes.  I'm not crazy about not being a very prolific musician, but eh, what do you do? Quality over quantity.

What is most important to me is that I keep playing, no matter how seldom. I don't want my passion for singing, writing and performing to fade away. I want to teach Ella that while being a mom is my #1 joy of a life time, I am more than just a mommy.

She's showing signs of having good rhythm...who knows? Maybe she'll join me on stage one day.

p.s. interested in a listen? Kaitlin Rose Music

1 comment:

  1. I like the song :) You seem very comfortable holding the guitar and you have a wonderful natural talent. I understand how you feel about music. I play the piano and flute, and when I was in college before starting our family I was planning to major in music and start a career teaching music to kids. Those plans have changed since then, but the love of music still runs through my veins. Whenever I can sit down at the piano and just play, or sing a beautiful song or pick up the flute, I feel that passion resonate within me. Thank you for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete