Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Moment Alone & I Yearn for Her

I got the opportunity to have some alone time tonight.

Packed up the laptop and headed out to write and drink tea. Exiting the house and walking briskly down the sidewalk, I felt a sense of relief. I let out a big sigh of satisfaction for some much needed "me" time.

Enter the tea shop: dim lights, cool music, hippies and poets typing away with steam rising from their cups. The smell different from a cafe.

Picked a version of chamomile with mint and perched. Opened the laptop and waited for it to come to life.

It wasn't long after checking a few emails and Tweeting a few lines that it hit me. I longed for Ella.

'Man!' I said to myself, 'just when I thought I got away, I want to go back home. What on earth is wrong with me?!'

Well, I guess it's a good thing; a sign that I really do love my life. Finishing up my tasks, I got excited all over again - just as I was looking forward to going out just an hour before, I was eagerly anticipating going back in.

Walking through the doorway of my home I heard Ella cry - the cry of longing. She missed me! I scooped up my baby, nuzzled her, hugged and kissed her and fed  her on my lap. Her big eyes stared up as she gulped. If I could have read her mind, I swear she was saying, "I missed you and I love you, mommy," and it melted my heart.

I am blessed and fortunate. My life is rich and I am grateful.

4 comments:

  1. That is so perfect. I love reading this.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a good time while you were gone tho. We danced to Pearl Jam, banged on empty oatmeal cans and played "fort" with the sleeping bag pulled over our heads. We wrestled the way we wrestle and I tickled her sides. She walked about and then crawled back to me. As time waned, yes you are correct, she wanted her mommy back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful life. You want (and need) the break from time to time but you don't really want it.
    It is exciting to know that you can take the break and allow yourself to do things that excite and fulfill you.
    Being mommy is the most rewarding career I know.
    Looking forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel that way any time I'm away from my kids. I'm always really glad to get out, and even more glad to get back home to them. Time away is good to help you get refreshed and grounded and help you better appreciate those little ones.

    ReplyDelete